Criminal Background Clearances
Prospective volunteers may be required to complete 3 different criminal history background clearances before beginning their volunteer duties. The 3 clearances, which must all be current (dated within the past 1 year), include:
- Act 33: Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance
- Act 34: Pennsylvania State Police Request for Criminal Records Check
- Act 73: FBI Criminal Background Check
Mandated Reporter Training
As part of the requirements of becoming a volunteer, you must complete the mandated reporter training.
What are the next steps of the process after I submit my application?
- You will receive a confirmation email once your application has been successfully submitted. Please save this confirmation email for your personal records as proof of submission.
- The PA Department of Human Services will process your application and you will receive email notification of the outcome within 14 days. You can review the submitted application at any time through your Child Welfare Account.
- Once you receive email notification of your completed application, please follow the instructs to provide a copy to CASA.
If you have trouble accessing the Child Welfare Portal website at any point, please contact the DHS Help Line at 1-877-343-0494. Between 8:30 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. Monday through Friday.